Senior Ruby Engineer - Fully remote
|Job Type||Permanent Full Time|
|Sector||I.T. - Development|
|Salary||up to £90,000|
A payments platform built on smart technology are looking for a Senior Ruby Engineer, to work in a team responsible for implementing an industry-leading API that has already processed over $50 billion of cross-border transactions for over 5 million end users, and is available to their clients 24/7.
As a Ruby engineer you’ll play a key role within your team; delivering new functionalities to the services your team provides, and taking responsibility for your services and the technology within them.
Their microservices architecture enables them to explore new languages and technologies in parallel with the existing system. The core of their system has been built using Ruby, leveraging backing services like RabbitMQ, Redis, and MySQL/Aurora, but we are keen to bring in engineers with more diverse backgrounds, and help take them to the next level of scale.
* you’ll work with a variety of tools, technologies, capabilities and processes.
* Highly-scalable, highly-available, cloud-native applications are key to their next phase of growth, are written to 12-factor principles and fit into their microservices architecture.
* Cloud-related tools and services support these applications, such as Docker, Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, log management systems, and Datadog APM, to name but a few.
* API specifications, conforming to the OpenAPI (Swagger) standard, provide a clean boundary both externally between their customers and their product, and internally between their microservices.
* Object-oriented programming forms the bulk of their codebase, currently in Ruby and more recently in Java. We also have specialist applications written in a functional style using Scala and Elixir.
* TRUST team’s tech stack includes RoR applications with RabbitMQ as a queue service, MySQL as an underlying database engine, and Elasticsearch as a search engine and aggregation tool. frontends are written in Vue.JS. All of that running on Kubernetes clusters.
* SQL, and large SQL databases, provide the persistence layer for the applications. You’ll be working with (and know the limitations of using) such large datastores. Infrastructure automation is primarily owned by the infrastructure team, but you will be a consumer of their work, familiarity with AWS, Terraform and Docker is beneficial.
* Testing approaches, including TDD, BDD and Contract Testing, all form an important part of the approach to quality assurance; ensuring that the code that we write forms products that are fit for use. We currently use RSpec and Cucumber.
* Agile development, with teams broadly aligned with the Spotify - Squads & Tribes - model, helps us deliver incremental improvements to their products in an iterative manner. Advocating this model, and joining us on a journey of continuous improvement, is a key attribute of senior members of the teams.
* Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipelines allow us to “automate all the things”, providing repeatable builds and consistent deployments.
* GitHub, and the GitHub PR review process, forms a core part of the developer workflow, and peer reviews help share knowledge and improve quality.